Sunday 13 May 2012

Evaluation 2

How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

Living in the 21st century we are blessed as students to have the amount of resources freely available. This allows us to use professional editing software and share our production and thoughts with people living all over the world with similar interests, long ago only certain wealthy individuals would be making a song as you would need expensive equipment but now all you need is a laptop, a mouse and free beat production software.

During our production we documented our progress using blogger, to do so we needed internet access and a computer. Our college provided use with access to MAC’s and I used a PC at home, the two systems are compatible with each other most of the time however at some points you may run into slight errors. The Mac is well known for never getting viruses and for video/image editing software’s therefore it was a wise choice using a Mac when editing our music video.

At the beginning of our blog I have used Google’s website to search and add pictures to the blog, this was very useful as it gives the reader a vivid image of the message I was trying to portray however not all images were available on Google therefore I used the school’s Epson’s perfection v500 scanner located in the library to scan and upload our storyboard.

During the research phase of our project, YouTube was used a lot to watch existing music video’s which then would be analysed and uploaded to our blog, the written analysis was carried out on a software called ‘Microsoft Word 2007’, this was a great program as it lets you change the font, correct spelling mistakes, make headings, add images and so much more.



 As I was working from two locations there had to be a feasible way to transfer my work, I was able to do this thanks to the use my Universal Serial Bus (USB), they can hold vast amount of data and moreover they are very small and robust; I used my USB to hold my images, storyboard, word documents and Photoshop images.

When creating our ancillary texts we used a Cannon EOS 5D Mark 2 camera fitted with a Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM lens. This equipment can cost up to £30000. Fortunately our teacher is friends with a studio manager who lent us the equipment needed. The camera was linked to a G4 Mac by a Profoto Sync Cable for instant image manipulation. Once the photographs were taken we used Adobe Photoshop to create the digipack and promotional advert.

When filming our music video we used a Sony DV hand held camcorder and a tripod to stabilise the shot, we also took some stills using a digital camera/mobile phone then uploaded them to the blog. Once all the filming was done we uploaded all our footage onto Vida’s iMac using a male to male 6 pin Firewire. The editing took place on iMovie where we added our song to the video, cut unwanted scenes out, added special effects and pieced together our music video. 


While using the green screen effect on our music video, there was one scene which came out not how we expected it to; it occurred at 2:58 and when we tried to revert the problem the system crashed and wouldn’t let us change it back therefore we let it stay in our music video however our audience liked the whole music video.

After the completion of our music video, we created a complete CD cover and poster. We used the photos taken with the Cannon EOS 5D Mark 2 and edited them on Photoshop CS4/7.0, this is where problems started to occur as I was using Photoshop 7.0 at home on a windows where at school I would be using Photoshop CS4 on a Mac however similar these two programs were there were missing fonts on my version of Photoshop and the layout was somewhat different.


When I went home to complete my poster I couldn’t change the size of the font as I was missing it so I had to download it from Google then add it to my fonts. Once I downloaded my font, I extracted it to the desktop and installed the font. To do this I went to "Start menu > Setting > Control Panel > Fonts" and simply copied my font there.

No comments:

Post a Comment